A few months ago Dave's fam in Canada (on his mom's side) told us they were throwing his Grandpa a surprise 85th birthday party. We were excited and wanted to go. I told Dave I WOULD NOT drive, I hate driving, and always have. So, he said we could look into flying. I went and got the boys' passport photos taken and everything. After a few weeks I decided that taking Dawson anywhere far would not be fun.. he is quite the active kid. I know everyone will tell you that of their almost 18 month old, but seriously.. Dawson is ACTIVE. So we kinda decided against Canada.
Then, last Tuesday morning Dave called me and told me he had called border control and we could still drive into Canada without passports (for kids) until June 1st 2009. It was May 25th, so we decided if we were going to go, we'd better hurry and go. That day. :) So we did! Which was awesome, I'm really good at talking myself out of vacations. I worked in a wild frenzy getting everything ready, made Dave get off work a little early so he could get a quick nap in (since we were driving through the night.. which might I add is the ONLY way to travel with kids!) We left home at 5:30 ish and got to Calgary at 7:00 am. With about an hour stop in Idaho Falls to walk around the temple.
It was such a relaxing, low key vacation, I loved it! The kids were GREAT! (even Dawson for the most part)
Some fun parts of our vacation include:
This zoo was AWESOME! It makes the Hogle Zoo seem so small! What's different about this Zoo? The animals are all in their natural habitat (as natural as can be) with plenty of space. They had a huge dinosaur section, tons of animals that we had never seen, just all over AWESOME. Something funny- at this zoo, you could get crazy close to the animals, and the zoo keepers don't care. I guess their theory is: If you get hurt, you're problem, not ours! They also had tons of rock exhibits where kids could climb all over, totally unsafe, but again.. not their problem, I loved it!
Hangin' with (Great) Grandma Bishop!
Adorning Grandma's house daily with a fresh bouquet of dandelions, which she would proudly put in a vase and display for all to see..
Finding some random rest stop that had a weirdly placed huge dinosaur.. Best rest stop I've ever seen!

19 comments:
I am glad that you decided to go. The drama with kids can be annoying but I always tell myself that the memories are what need to be made. And memories stick around longer that horrible road trips. Glad you had fun!
I am so jealous you got to go somewhere spontaneously. I wish you could post that video of the guy mowing his lawn! HAHAHA!
What a fun trip. I bet it was so nice to see family that you don't get to see very often.
What a great trip! Looks like you guys enjoyed yourselves.
Looks like fun. We got a harness for Matthew when he was little because he was fast and didn't ever stay with us. It was nice and quite a lifesaver, but I got so many rude comments from people. Oh well it worked really well for our family so who cares what anyone else thinks!
That looks like a ton of fun!
I'm glad you were spontaneous and went.
I'll try to note the drive at night advice. We could have used that on our last trip.
WOW! Looks like you guys had an awesome time!! You are so good to drive, I'm not sure I could handle it!!
I'm glad you had a good time!!
HOLY MOLY! What a fun trip! I'm glad you went. I love it! Poor Dawson in his breakdown photo! I'm glad you guys made it safe driving through the night! Way to go spontaneously! YAY! Your kids are adorable!
So glad you came!! it was so great to have you here!
It looks like you had a fun time in a beautiful place! Don't let people bug you about the harnesses(sp?). You are not the first ones to use them & you would get alot more stare's if something happened to your kids! Better to be safe than sorry!
So cool! I want to go somewhere spontaneous like that! The zoo looked awesome- it puts Hogle Zoo to shame. PS- We have the same harness. It is a great invention. :) And that little monkey is just so cute!
We had our class field trip to Hogle Zoo and it was nothing like that! Hope you guys had fun!
Looks like you guys had fun good for you! Your boys are getting so big, they are darling:)
Wow...what a fun time. I'm with you, I hate riding in a car, so I'm glad all went well. I can't even imagine having family live in another country. It's cool when you get to visit, but probably a bummer when you rarely see each other.
What a fun trip. You looked busy. I'm glad you were able to go especially without getted passports. Those can be a pain in the butt. I would love to go to Canada never had the opportunity to yet. Sounds like a fun little adventure.
That looks like so much fun!!! I'm glad you had a great time...and I 100% agree...driving at night is the ONLY way to go!!!
I'm going to have to get Cicily one of those harnesses when we move to Florida especially when we go to Disney World and I want to visit the Calgary Zoo Next time we go to Calgary It looks and sounds awesome!
I love Canada it is so pretty there. My Grandma Lois and Grandpa Roland took us all a few years ago and it was so fun. We went to Bamf, I'm not sure if that is anywhere near where you were? Day Break Park is right by the new temple. It is a really cute park. Its set up like a beach it is right on a little lake. If you are ever out this way we should go.
looks like you had a great time. The harnesses are great I think they are so smart. Some kids just need them... :)
Post a Comment