The following list is taken from my journal. I'm sure most LDS girls have a similar lists. Thanks to my Young Woman leaders growing up I made my own list of "characteristics of a guy I wanted to date/marry" I would always refer to this list as I was dating. It was rare for a guy to meet all of them.
1) Doesn't swear. EVER. (I hate swearing, I think it is horribly rude and ugly. If I hear swearing, I automatically want to cringe. No hubby of mine would swear.
2) Taller than me.)
3) Returned missionary. (while I was dating I realized this wasnt a huge deal... being that I dated a lot of "winner" returned missionaries. )
4) Treats his mother with respect.
5) Doesn't talk bad about ex girlfriends
6) Sense of Humor
7) Wants to have at least 4 kids. (ha... I don't think I even fit my list anymore..)
8) Doesn't watch rated R movies or read inappropriate material.
9) Gets along with my family
10) Treats me like a queen (I know.. I know, I almost didn't put that one on here)
11) Honors his priesthood
12)Attends church regularly, never trying to find excuses not to go
13) Desires to go on a mission with me when we are older
14) Must have a love for animals *** REFER TO THIS ONE LATER IN THIS POST****
15) Loves living in Utah
16) Has a positive attitude.
17) Doesn't have a temper.
This is my original list, as I started dating I would put check marks on it and add stuff, but anyway.. what I'm trying to get at here is Dave met every single one of those requirements but ONE and that would be the love of animals. (To this day, I have never heard Dave swear)
Dave made it clear that if we were to marry, we would never have any pets. Landon is lucky to have his beta fish, Gilbert.
Also, as Dave and I got a little more serious in our relationship so did my realization that he really likes to hunt... Growing up in my house I was almost taught that people who hunted were bad. I know my mom didn't come out and say it that way, it's just the way I perceived things. In our house, if a spider was found, the rule of thumb was to capture it, and release it outside. (yes, my mom STILL does this) So I kind of had a problem with the fact that this guy who I had fallen head over heals in love with hunted. I couldn't see how someone as kindhearted and gentle as Dave could go out and massacre one of our Heavenly Father's beautiful creations.
1) If he ever "got" something, he would NEVER under any circumstances ask me to cook it up for him.
2) He would also NEVER bring the dead rotten thing to our house. NEVER (that's what his dad's house is for)
3) If he were to ever mount one of his "trophies" in our house, he would agree to let me have a little pet dog. (YEAH!!!!)
4) He would always call me the second he can once he is down from the mountain and has cell coverage, so I could be sure he was safe.
So anyway, there you have it. I married a hunter. I still HATE IT!!!!! I always tell Dave there is nothing I would want to change about him. I have changed my mind. I wish he hated hunting as much as I do, and that he could find a better bonding activity to do with his family.
So Dave has a hunting trip he is trying to plan. He wants to be gone for 4 days. I am DREADING it. I know a lot of people have their hubby's gone for longer than this, but they don't have their husbands up in the mountains with no cell phone coverage and no way to talk to them for those 4 days. I get so anxious worrying something bad has happened and no one would even know it. I asked Dave to please let me purchase him some bear spray and he laughed at me. (Don't you think bear spray is a good idea?) Anyway.... I told Dave that he shouldn't be surprised when he gets home and this has found a new home in the garage.


16 comments:
I think you should just go get a dog. Good luck with that one!!!!
I agree.. If Dave calls and is coming home with a "trophy". Surprise him with your little "trophy" a new puppy! :)
We should start a support group. "Tammy and Cami, women who love men that hunt." I made Mike hang his "trophies" in his office at work. I have parts of a dead antelope in my fridge at this very moment!! I feel your pain, sister.
I think I know something else that would be on your list now if you were to make a new one...I won't mention it on your blog, but it has to do with the aroma of something Greek food does to Dave. Perhaps your requirement could be that it should always smell like daisies. :) jk. Anyway, sorry about the hunting trip. That's no fun! Call me if you need some adult conversation. We can just talk or go on a walk or something! (Is Dave mad at me now?)
I am married to a hunter as well; however, I do not share your ill feelings towards it. I do agree with your feelings about the unsightly heads mounted on the wall. Lucky for me, Jeff has never shot one worth mounting its entire head, but I have had a couple European mounts to deal with. I have managed to remove them from the decor this past year!!
Jeff's dad has two deer mounted in their front living room on a wall that divides the living room from the kichen. Many years ago, I had my niece over there, she was about four years old at the time, and she kept walking back and forth from the front room to the kichen looking up at the wall. Finally, she looks at me with the most perplexed look on her face and says, "Where are those deers bodies?" Try explaining that to a four year old, I think she thought Jeff's dad was a monster!
This is so funny! I'm not too excited about the day Kaemon and Eli want to go hunting with their cousins. I think it's funny Dave said you could get a puppy, I can't imagine him ever agreeing to that. But honestly, do you even want one now?
I'm with you I hate hunting I'm so glad Souli shows no interest whatsoever. My dad loves it too I can't understand the reason for it. I think its gross and mean.
I am cracking up! I agree with you- hunting is yucky! And that deer head has to go! Ha ha!
My favorite part of your post is that picture of David and his first deer. Dave has looked the same since I've known him (since the 6th grade anyway).
If you ever want to get rid of that deer on your wall, I'm sure little Spence would love it. He was enamored by it when we were there.
And I hope Dave doesn't throw in the hunting towel anytime soon - hunting with him is something I've always wanted to do. You're blog is hilarious by the way - I love your cynicism.
I remember having a conversation with Dave back in the old days about how we never wanted to have pets in the house. At least the dead head doesn't shed, poop, pee, or lick you...gross.
Whatever happened to us going through hunters safty together? I thought next year was the big year we'd purchase a tag and go J/K!!! I'll make you feel better Justin leaves on a friday and may not return til the following Sunday. (depending on if they get one)
Hey Cami, this is Ryan. I always thought that God looked down on Nephi for hunting too. Wait a minute, He told them where to go shoot the sheep and their wives were ecstatic to wear the coats of their "trophies". God put animals on this earth for the use of man. A deer is just like a chicken it is only funner to shop for. Last week I shot 10 doves and fried them like chicken and they were delicious. It is a great time for me to get out and enjoy the beautiful world that God created for us to enjoy.
Most of you women love to get out and shop. Most men could complain about that too, but I doubt your husbands would empty your closets when they returned home to find a hideous purchase.
I say this all in good gest and can see where you are coming from, but what makes dave great and nearly perfect is has a lot to do with how we were raised. Although it may have been different from others it doesnt make it bad. I dont think dave would ever change anything about you, and I would hate to see Dave quit hunting with me as well. I have many fond memories over the years of hunting with Dave. I wouldnt change them for the world. Give it 20 years and Landon will say the same thing. I wish I was going with the guys tuesday, I am so sad I could cry that I am not.
Love ya tons! It could be worse, the fact Dave may have a flaw keeps him from being translated!
Well, I hate guns so I lucked out that rob doens't like hunting. He went when he was little with his dad but more for bonding. Not killing. You are lucky he doesn't bring the dead animal home too. I remember my dad just taking apart a feasant and the smell still haunts me to this day.
Hey! I am Megan's sister. She had me come read this post and I had to laugh! I have my conditions also with my hubby hunting. Like: I don't want to see any blood! But I actually like him going away hunting for a while! It gives us both a break. And he loves it! He earns it! But he knows there is no trophy hanging in this house!!! They freak me out! Those eyes!
good job cami. I am not a gun or hunting fan. I love the list- so classic LDS young womens. Sweet.
I agree. I'm not a fan of guns or hunting either. I'm glad Justin doesn't hunt. I love your list, mine looked about the same.
Mmmm...Venison....
Post a Comment