Any of you who know Dave and me well know that preschool has been a sore topic in our house for a while now. Dave's argument was "preschool is a gimmick, a way to weezle people out of their money!" or this "I never went to preschool, and I did just fine in school!" I tried explaining to Dave that Landon didn't need it for the learning aspect, but for reasons such as: Gaining better social skills, learning to obey someone other than mom and dad, getting out of the house, and most important.. giving me a break!! Landon is not like most kids. He will not watch TV or movies, he NEVER plays with his toys,(unless he is within 1 foot of me and I am playing with him) never just goes to his room to play.. He is constantly needing ME to entertain him. I don't mind it tons, but lately.. it's gotten out of hand. He always needs something to do or he is constantly saying "mom.. I am bored out of my mind"
So anyway, Dave was left with both kids for a lengthy amount of time and soon realized why Landon needed preschool. He told me to sign him up. So I did right away, before Dave could change his mind. That was 2 months ago, Landon has been anticipating pre-school since that day! He has been sooo excited. Dave and I got a little nervous because a few weeks ago Landon decided that he would no longer stay in nursery with out Dave or myself right there with him. I was hoping signing him up for school wasn't a mistake. Landon woke up this morning and declared that he was NOT going to preschool. I told him he didn't need to and I would call Miss Monique and inform her of his decision. I went to get the phone and he quickly changed his mind. He wanted to go.. ALL morning he was asking when we could go. So here he is finally ready to go. Can you tell he's just little excited?
He was a little nervous when we got there, until he saw his friend, Adam. He kinda stuck by Adam's side for a while.
Then Miss Monique came out to bring the kids to class. Landon walked right up to her and gave her a high 5 (can I just say.. I have never seen someone SO good with kids!! She is amazing!) He is already talking about her tons!
Then, Miss Monique said "Ok kids, wave goodbye to your mom's! They need to go get some chores done, they will be right back to pick you up!" Landon waved goodbye to me, turned and walked away. No tears, no nervousness... NOTHING. I was shocked. especially with our nursery experience the past while. I was proud of him. What a big boy! I got a little teary eyed driving away...
When I went to pick him up the kids were out front with Miss Monique and she was rinsing off carrots they got to pick from her garden. I thought Landon would be excited to see me, but instead he said "MOM! not yet! I need to get my carrot! " I asked him if he had fun, and he said yes. I tried to get more out of him, but he's a man of few words. He did ask if he could come back tomorrow. So that's GREAT! Yeah for preschool! I got all my bathrooms cleaned while he was away and Dawson slept the whole time. I could get used to this.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Preschool
Posted by Cami at 3:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Yay, what a relief that must be for you! I'm glad he liked it.
I'm so glad he did good for you! Isn't it so nice to have a little break?? How long does he go for? Garrett is loving his preschool too!
That is funny there is all boys and one girl in his class. Riley's class is all girls and one boy. lol I am so glad he enjoyed his first day!
I was wondering how it went! That's awesome that he liked it so much. I can totally hear him saying. "I need my carrot" haha, that makes me laugh. That probably made his day to have his own carrot. He looks so grown up and handsome in those pictures!
Preschool was a hot topic in our house too. Rob also would say that he never went and turned out fine. Gabe never really went to one. He wasn't really ready until kindergarten. But Sibley really wants to go. I might still put her in if I can find an opening somewhere. I am so happy that he loved it too. What a relief. It is sad but it is also nice to know that hey have an outlet a few days a week that they can look forward to as well.
How cute! How many days a week is it? I wanna go to preschool. I'd love to pick my own carrot!
I am so happy for you guys that everything went well. You just never know how kids are going to react to new things.
Yay for Landon! I am so jealous. I wish Ethan were going. Huh, maybe he didn't want to.. Preschool started this last week and today he is pooping like a pro! All day. Hmm.. I think maybe he was planning this all along..
I would say that I agree with David (before he changed his mind) about preschool. Annette and I have the same dispute. I imagine there are some benefits from going, but having never experienced it - it makes it hard to imagine the rationale behind preschool. One thing is for sure though, Landon is one of the brightest and friendliest little kids I've met. You guys do a great job with him.
And I'm glad you had a well deserved break. Too bad we don't live up there anymore, we really miss you guys.
Your little man is growing fast! Patty is starting preschool and Linus a bit too. I have to agree with you hubby but then again I'm homeschooling so they stay home any how :) I do get a break though on Tuesdays they go to my mom's. I work for my dad in his office for 4 hours and then get my grocery shopping done.
Post a Comment