Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Family Man

Last November Dave's job was in jeopardy at Marketstar. His client, Westcon, decided they could no longer afford to use Marketstar and pulled out. Dave's whole team had to find new jobs. Dave and I were really worried for a couple of months. Luckily, Marketstar was able to land a new client and Dave got to still have a job. (PHEW!!!!) During those 2 months Dave put his resume out at many places. One place was Browning. Since November he has had several interviews with them. Over 400 people put in for the job, and after about 6 interviews total, Dave was selected for the job!! Once Dave got to know a little more about the job, he wasn't so excited. While this job would be a significant pay increase, it required 100-150 travel days per year. What a HARD decision we had to make yesterday. We prayed about it, and seriously made ourselves sick about it. Ultimately, I wanted it to be his decision, and told him I would support him either way. He called me yesterday and said he couldn't do it. He didn't want to miss out on anything in our young children's lives. He told me that thinking about being gone from us that much would make him sick, and couldn't see himself being happy being away lots.
Seriously, how many guys out there would jump at that chance to work for a company they were passionate about (hunting, guns etc.. )?! I think lots of people were shocked he turned it down. Browning even asked Dave what they needed to do financially to get him to sign on with them. Dave is holding his guns, and he feels good about the decision he has made. I am so blessed to have him as my husband! I love my Family Man!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been a hard decision. That would have been really hard to have him gone so much. I'm glad you won't have to do that.

Mary said...

I get so happy when I hear stories about people choosing their family over their careers. In the world today, it's quite a rare thing. I'm glad you guys prayed and followed what you felt to be right. :)

Rebecca said...

That is amazing!! I am glad he will be around. It is nice for Dads to play a big part in children's lives. What a hard decision, however!

The Sayamas said...

Like I told you guys yesterday, I am proud of Dave! That was a lot of money he turned down! I don't think I could handle Rory being away so much, either. I am so glad Dave made the choice he did!

Oh ya, and if you guys want to come over today Cheryl is going to have my kids and Ror and I are going to the gym so we will not be here. I will lysol everything before you come! :) I hate the fact that since we live here and our kids are sick you can't come over :(

Lovely Lizzy said...

Wow! That is crazy great. Whew. Blows my mind too. That's really great though.
Glad he still has a secure job too.

Melanie said...

I know all about a traveling husband, and I'm so glad you won't have to deal with that.

Mombrud said...

Isn't it wonderfu the have husbands we can be proud of and grateful for. When we started our own practice it could have snowballed into a huge time commitment but Paul has vowed to never sacrifice family time. God has blessed us and the needs never surpass the haves. The wants are another matter!

Spence said...

I will say that doesn't really surprise me, but it just goes to show once again Dave's outstanding character. As long as I've known him - and its been decades now - David is probably the best man I've ever known personally.

I think that one day, before too long, David will be known far and wide for his integrity and he will bless the lives of so many.

But Cami, you too deserve a lot of credit. You have been at least his equal and I know we are very lucky to count you both as dear friends.

Souli & Ashley said...

That would be a hard decision I would have a hard time saying know. I think its good other things will come he knows where he needs to be right now. Kids don't stay young very long.

Rodarte Family said...

What a great husband/father! I'm sure it was a difficult decision and I'm sure your family will be blessed for the decision Dave made.

Unknown said...

Good job Dave!!!

Lou and Addi said...

Dub told me about that. Dave is such a great guy and a wonderful father, you are one lucky lady!

Waiting for the One=-) said...

That is so SCARY!
What a relief to be able to stay where he is.
Money isn't worth missing your little ones grow.

Anonymous said...

That's so good for you! I don't think I could handle Alan being gone a lot. I would go crazy. I hate being away from him even when he's just at work.

I'm glad everything worked out!

girly girls said...

thanks for letting me come over today it was fun babysitting landon and dawson. And jaycee wants to know if she can babysit sometimes to well thanks.