Sunday, March 8, 2009

Question

I was once sitting in Relief Society when a member of the presidency was telling us of an upcoming R.S. event. She said: The dress is Sunday best, so please.. no jean skirts." I looked down at myself and realized I was wearing a jean skirt, and immediately felt stupid. Ever since then I have been cautious of wearing them to church. Seriously, that comment was made probably a year ago, and I have probably only worn a jean skirt once or twice since then.
Today was one of those days where nothing fit, and I was having a horrible hair/outfit day. So I threw on the forbidden JEAN SKIRT. I felt kinda awkward all day.. should have I? I have a new calling in the Young Women's organization and want to set a good example. SO, QUESTION: What do YOU think about jean skirts being worn on Sunday? If you would share your opinions, please do so now. Thank you.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

well.. I wore one today. I think they are FINE!

Diana Sims said...

Interesting, Cami....I have always had at least one jean skirt, denim jumpers, and even denim dresses in my closet. And yes, I wear them to Church functions...they're dresses for goodness sake! Hmmmm..........

KatieLarson said...

I don't think that you should feel bad. Was it clean and pressed? I think the issue with jean skirts began when people began getting too comfortable with them and forgot that they were at church and behaved in a way not appropriate for the house of the Lord. I own two jean skirts. I wear them to church. But I can feel a difference in my attitude and demeanor.

Tammy said...

As long as they are not short, I think they are fine. I think there are a lot bigger "modesty" problems in church than jean skirts...I much rather see a flattering jean skirt than skin tight t-shirts and skirts that people seem to not be squeamish about anymore...there's my rant.;0)

Mombrud said...

I think the lady in question was expressing an opinion. Everyone has a different opinion of appropriate dress. I feel that if you are modestly dressed in a "dress" the difference is in how the clothes make you feel and affect your reverence and behavior.
In Puerto Rico, at a priesthood leadership meeting on Sat. the stake pres. embarrassed Paul by saying "it was so nice to see ALMOST everyone in their white shirt". Paul was wearing a white and pink striped shirt which he didn't feel was inappropriate since he wasn't participating in any priesthood ordinaces etc. We also found it interesting that it was okay for men to wear nice jeans to pass the sacrament as long as the shirt was white.
It took him a while to brush it off and didn't wear colored shirts to church related functions for the rest of the time we were there out of respect for the Pres. authority. However, we still felt it was an opinion expressed rather than church policy.

kdance10 said...

I have a denim skirt that i wear to church. I remember hearing that in church before but not really saw anyone stop wearing them:)

Carlee Hoopes said...

I say they're totally fine. I think you looked way cute today and you shouldn't feel bad for wearing it. I've never seen a scripture/heard a conference talk telling us not to wear jean skirts, have you?

Kelly said...

That was definitely someones opinion. I was surprised to read this. I could understand if it was a really short jean skirt, but a long one is just crazy.

Coach B. said...

Here's my theory. You must have looked so hot in the jean skirt. A bunch of sisters must have got jealous...made some complaints...and then decided to make you feel like a fool in front of the whole congregation to make you learn your lesson.

That's my worst case theory :)

Rebecca said...

I remember when that comment was made. I think they were kidding for the most part. I think they are just fine. By the way I thought your hair looked cute in a ponytail yesterday.

Lovely Lizzy said...

I do the same thing you did yesterday. Well, and that's really only since I've been in Young Women's. I had no problem wearing them to Relief Society, and I even wore them on Sundays that I taught. I feel different about it in Young Women's, and maybe it's only because it's a leadership position. But I wore one last Sunday, and didn't have a good hair day either. I just felt I needed to be consistent. If my hair is messy and I'm wearing a nice skirt then I look funny. I really don't have a problem with it though. I think some are actually quite nice looking too. In the end, the church hasn't said anything about it, so it's a personal choice.
I totally had a hard time when they asked us to stop wearing flipflops to church. It took me months to break that habit. Months!

Christian and Melissa said...

I've never heard anyonen in the Church Presidency say anything about not wearing denim to church! I think it's totally appropriate, as long as it looks nice. Statements like that is what drive people away from the church. It's okay to set your own guidelines, but you can't pressure other people to follow them too. I pretty much wear my jean skirt every other Sunday. You gotta mix it up a little!

Dustin and Kellie said...

I guess I can see that it wouldn't fit into the "Best" category, but I think they are fine. I have one that is fraying at the bottom.. (I bought it that way) so that one maybe not, but a nicely hemmed one I don't think there should be a problem. Huh. That's interesting. Honestly, don't get mad (that includes ward members reading this), I think your ward is kinda odd..

Dustin and Kellie said...

I know that the First Pres. mentioned a while ago to not wear flip flops, your going to church/temple, save your flip flops for the beach.. Maybe that is what she was thinking.. Maybe people get casual with jean skirts. I agree with what Katie said, if it doesn't look sloppy, go for it!

Amy said...

I wear one all the time with a frayed end. I don't care..... maybe I should, I never thought about it tell now. 2 weeks ago I gave the prayer in sacrament with it on.

Koch Clan said...

This is so funny because that is an ongoing thing in our marriage. I always wore them until one time years ago Rob asked why I can wear jeans to church and he can't. I get the theory but I agree with carlee, there has been no instruction on not wearing them to church. I think it is fine. Plus they go with anything and sometimes it is so hard to pick out something to wear to church.

Souli & Ashley said...

You looked cute. I know I wear them. I don't think its any big deal. I say if its modest then why not

Spence said...

That can be a tough question as it appears to be a sensitive one. I had a leader pose the question to us like this once: "Let's say that you get invited to a special meeting, much like the one to be held at Adam-ondi-ahman, where you know the Savior is going to be in attendance - what would you wear to that meeting?"

I remember back several years when I got home from my mission. I was kind of tired wearing of wearing a suit to church all the time - so I purchased a really nice pair of stylish khaki pants for church. I thought that it looked just fine and many others did the same. But after my leader asked me that question I thought, "ya know, I think I'd feel more comfortable/respectful if I was wearing something nicer to that meeting." I have worn a suit ever since. That is just my personal opinion though - and what we wear to church is and should be a direct reflection on our attitude toward the Savior, his church, and the atonement.

Since the sacrament, as we are told, is the most sacred ordinance in the church - we can and should expect to have very sacred and spiritual experiences while in that meeting. Girls wearing jean skirts and priesthood holders wearing colored shirts probably won't get in the way of that - but just ask yourself if you would want the Savior to meet you while wearing that. If yes, wear it without any question. If not, then make the appropriate changes.

I like the above comment by Dustin and Kellie referring to Elder Oak's talk about good, better, best. Its very rare that the church will come out and give specific rules about different things - instead its up to us to make those choices based on our relationship with the Savior and our understanding of the gospel. I do think it is inappropriate of a non-priesthood leader to set guidelines like that.

Though I never look to see who is wearing them and I certainly hope someone wouldn't be judged for them - I think I would discourage my daughter from wearing one.

Is that long enough for you?

The Wife!! said...

Ok Cam.. I sat in YW with you on this particular day and I kept looking at your skirt and those super cute hills you had on and just thought to myself..... "How cute is that together". I see nothing wrong with a jean skirt and as far as I know I do not believe that there has been any counsel on wearing them to church. DO IT!!!

Waiting for the One=-) said...

I do't see anything wring with it. I have never even heard about not wearing jean skirts to church functions. What does it matter what the skirt is made of...it's still a skirt.

The Sayamas said...

Wow this is quite the controversial subject :) I think people get too hung up on "I don't think it's appropriate to do something..." then they look down and judge others. In our first married ward people came in jeans and old dirty t-shirts. No one judged them or looked down on them. It was all they had and we were just so happy to have them at church! I do remember when I was younger and we lived in Oregon one of my friends said her mom thought that it was ridiculous that we had to wear dresses to church, that they believed God would accept you the way you are. And I didn't know what to say so it has bugged me all those years. So I have given it much thought and I wish I could go back and tell her we don't HAVE to, we choose to, to show respect and reverence to such a special day and place.

I think you just have to look at what you're wearing and ask yourself if you are dressed your best and clean. I think a lot of jean skirts are dressier and look nicer than kahki or other materials. I don't think we should go about telling others what material is appropriate or not. I hope people are careful about what they say, you should not be so judgemental bacause there are investigators, and other people there who might just stop coming to church if they were offended or made to feel stupid about what they are wearing.

Do people in your ward still save seats? Maybe that lady should focus more on having a ward that sings in scacrament, is open to sitting by whoever, and says "amen" at the end of talks and prayers. How's that for judgemental? (sorry I just thought that was weird when we visited one time...)

Julie Wood said...

Cami, I that they are fine as long as they aren't like the ones that they wore a few years ago that looked like they had sat in a mud puddle. You always look nice. You have some very cute clothes. I felt the same way the day that they said something about flip flops! I had some on that day! They were really fancy; not just the rubber all a dollar flip flops! I thought that they looked pretty cute. I am there to worship the Lord not at a fashion show! I wish people would quit worrying about what people wear. Some people can't afford Sunday Only clothes & come in denim & tennis shoes. Everyone should just be glad that they are there in the best that they have. I only have 2 or 3 dresses & often wonder how many people pay attention to how often I wear them. Keep up the good work! I am just excited for you to be in YM; and that you care about things!

Unknown said...

I thought you looked really cute! And I think it's fine in YW as long as it's modest.