I don't get how one baby can go for so long on such little sleep. I am a little frustrated with his napping lately and would like some advice.
Here is his daily sleep schedule:
7:20- awake. No matter what time he went to bed. (after waking up at least once and coming in to bed to snuggle with mom and dad. I've decided as long as he goes to sleep by himself in his crib what's the harm in letting him in with us at 3am? I love to snuggle him and it's the only time he will let me.. )
9:30- morning nap. Lucky to get 25 minutes.
12:30- Nap again.. here is where it gets tricky. He sleeps for about 25-30 minutes and then is AWAKE. I cant get him back to sleep either.. So, we get him out of his crib and he is happy for about an hour. After that hour he is soooooo grouchy!! I know it's because he is super tired and didn't sleep long enough.. Do I make him cry it out and put himself back to sleep? I don't want to do this. I've tried and he cries forever because he has had enough of a nap that he doesn't want to fall back asleep. Rocking him is out of the question, he will not have it. :(
Tips and advice much appreciated. Thanks!
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Sleep? Dawson doesn't need it..
Posted by Cami at 3:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I don't have great experience with napping. Brevin problem is he sleeps to long and they it takes him like and hour to get to sleep at night. If it were me I would probably just see if he can go back to sleep later in the day.
Can you skip the morning nap and maybe give him an early lunch and lay him down? Or does he get too grouchy in the morning without a nap? I can't help you a whole lot, we were blessed with great sleepers. Good luck!
I'm so sorry! That is HORRIBLE!! Kenzie was awake last night from 2-4am just because she wanted to be awake. I finally just put her back in her room and made her cry until she fell back asleep.
Maybe see how long you can go after he wakes up to fall back asleep.
*We did the same thing with Garrett in the middle of the night. Mainly because I would bring him in my room to feed him and i was just too tired to put him back in his own bed! But I also love snuggling with my babies! So that was a plus too!
Here is what I've been thinking lately. Why do they sleeping like a baby? Seriously.
I don't struggle with the nap thing, but since I started feeding Aaliyah solids and stopped nursing every three hours to 4 or sometimes five she wakes up in the middle of the night to get an extra meal.
I had her sleeping through the night a long time ago.
My one hope is what we call "silkies." I had one of those stuffed animals/blankets with fleece on one side and satin on the other. It knocks her out instantly when she's tired. They're kind of expensive, but I bought a remnent at the fabric store of this cool double sided satin fabric w/ batting between it. It was like $2 and I got two small blankets.
Oh and lately tummy sleeping gets me a whole night, so maybe change positions.
Good luck.
Cami,
Dang. I remember Maggie did that for a month or so and I finally just had to let her cry it out. It sucks. And, to be honest, I don't remember how many days I had to do it before she started sleeping longer. She has just started sleeping about 2 hours in the morning though and I didn't do anything different. So, he may just need to get used to it and decide he needs the sleep. Sleep issues are so hard!!!!
Liz.. you are right.. "sleeping like a baby" who ever said that???
It seems like that is early for his morning nap. Can you push those naps later, then he will be more tired and do more than cat nap. The transition from two naps to one has always been a pain with my kids!
I am no help in this department as I haven't slept through the night in 6 1/2 years! Seriously, our kids are the worst sleepers. Last night I tried to keep telling gabe to go back to sleep from about 3-4am and he finally did. And Jude got me up before 5 today. Granted our kids usually wake up between 6 and 6:30 anyway. But I have had enough. So when you find the answer let me know!
Gracie is EXACTLY the same way. So, I don't have any advice, but excited to read the advice! I feel so clueless in the motherhood department, so it was nice to know other people struggle with their kids' sleep schedule : )
You'll have to let me know if anything ends up working for Dawson!
those "silkies" that Liz mentioned are a life savor in this house! Kenzie has probably 6 of them! She LOVES them! If you haven't noticed she always has one with her where ever we go! (and her binky) Luckily she doesn't care which one she has! But ever time we go to walmart and she spots one in the baby section she begs for it the rest of the time we are there!
So.. to get to a point.. maybe Dawson would like one??
Hey there,
I was just thinking about the "good old days" and I wanted to let you know I miss you guys and think you and your family are awesome. hang in there with being sleep deprived!
Post a Comment