Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dawson Down Under

The title of this post scares me. It scares me because my little Dawson will be going under anesthesia. That's right, he's getting tubes in his ears. I know it's not a HUGE deal, but it worries me. I'm glad he wont have to be on antibiotics all the time. He has had 4 ear infections in a 5 month time frame. He constantly has fluid in his right ear. Poor little guy! They did a hearing test on him today and he passed. (phew) so no hearing damage is done. The Doctor had me worried into thinking there would be damage due to the fact that his ear has been infected the majority of his little life. He was surprised he passed so well. I was proud of him :)

We have to go to Primary Children's to have this done, so.. on Sept 9th keep Dawson in your thoughts and prayers that this goes well. Like I said, I KNOW this isn't a huuuge deal, but to someone who has anxiety, especially where their children are concerned, this is a big, huge, scary deal.

14 comments:

Kosel Family said...

That is scary! I've read a lot about how changing diet can get rid of the ear problems without the surgery. Less scary than going under the knife...

Amy said...

Tubes, walk in the park. It will be the best thing you can do for him. I was scard when Jaycee got them, but it helped her TONS!!!

Carlee Hoopes said...

Oh, Hooray! I mean, I know what you're saying about the anxiety, but he'll be so much happier afterwards! Try not to be too worried. Primary's is a great hospital! Also, I will bring you some ice cream. That always helps me out. What kind do you want?

Adam, Annie, Josan and Calvin said...

We will pray for Dawson for sure. But he will be just fine. He s a tough one;) I understand that its scary and all that but its for the best right? Let me know if we can do anything for you guys!!
-Annie

Anonymous said...

I know exsactly how you feel! We had to do the same thing with Kenzie. She had 6 ear infections by the time she was 4 months old! It was HORRIBLE!! I was freaking out, it was hard too because she couldn't eat anything 8 hours before the operation and could only have pedialite or water 4 hours before. So we were so worried she would be screaming the whole time! But Alan gave her a blessing the night before and she was a little angel the whole time! We did have to wait for a while at the hospital before they took her in. But once she was back the operation only took seriously like 15min!
So Dawson will be just fine, and you will see a whole new baby!

Koch Clan said...

My nephew had the same thing. I am sure he will be fine but I understand the anxiety that goes along with it too. We will keep him in our prayers.

Souli & Ashley said...

It would be a big deal too me if my little nephew hadn't had them done a while back. But sense he has no big deal. He will be fine I will keep that little cutie in my prayers. I love that cute little face.

Anonymous said...

My kids have had tubes, Lily twice, but every time, it is so nerve racking. They really do do just fine though. They are not gone from you for very long at all. When Jack came out of the drugs, he was kind of freaking out and that scared me, but he quickly snapped out of it and was just fine. Good luck, try not to worry to much, I am sure he will do fine...probably better than you!:)

Lovely Lizzy said...

Ahh, I beat my mom to comment. She knows lots about this. Ryan (my brother who will be 18 soon) just got tubes in his ears for like the millionth time and my mom freaks to. I do believe that she didn't sleep well that night even though the procedure is so simple, they just put them under so they don't wiggle. I hope it goes well though, and yeah for passing the hearing test.

Anonymous said...

At least you can look forward to less ear infections now. I hope everything goes good for him. I love the picture of him.

Melanie said...

I'd be worried about you if you weren't feeling anxious. That just means you're a great mom. Everything will be fine and you'll have a happier little boy afterwards.

The Sayamas said...

Even though this procedure is simple, just the fact that they are putting him under is scary enough when he is so young! I can see why you'd worry. But I know that he will be ok, especially since he is going to Primary's. It's one of the leading childrens' hospitals in the world. We sure love that little guy!!

Spence said...

We will be sure to keep him in our prayers. I can guarantee he will be just fine. There is something special about your family and I know that the Lord has his eye on your family - each of you. Ever since I was little I knew that David was destined for something great, but after having got to know you and your little family I know that all of you are included in some great thing the rest of us don't know yet.

If it were little Spence, I'd be worrying my stomach lining away. But he will be fine. Let us know how it goes.

Marf said...

Reading your blog reminded me of the blog I wrote just a couple of months ago...it sounded just like mine. Liz is right, I stress out so much, and Ryan is 17 years old. I blogged right after we got home from the surgical center about how silly my worrying can be. Don't let the fact that my 17 year old just got tubes for the umpteenth time worry you, it is extremely uncommon for it to go on that long, and the last 2 times he got tubes in they lasted for about 4 years...not bad. I won't tell you not to worry, it's apparently what we do, but everything will be alright. One interesting thing I learned recently is that they use a lighter anesthesia on them for tubes because all they need to do is keep them still for a few minutes, helped me not be as scared. Seriously, call me if you need a little support :) MaryAnn