Dawson has been very irritable for about a week or so. He hasn't been eating or sleeping well, has been tugging on his right ear tons, and was running a fever yesterday. I knew he had an ear infection, so to the Dr. we went. This is how it went:
Me: "I think he has an ear infection."
Dr: "Ok, let's take a look. "
he then gets his otoscope (or whatever that ear tool thing is called) out to look in Dawson's ear.
Dr: "Oh.. I can't even see into his ear, there is too much wax. "
he proceeds to get this pick thing out, to dig the wax out of Dawson's ear. Dawson sat very still and was a good boy for this. I sat and realized he got absolutely NO wax out.
Dr: "Hm... well, from what I can see, there is no infection."
Me: "Well... how much can you see? You didn't pull any wax out."
Dr. "well, I saw about half of it, and the color is good. "
He then continues on with the rest of the exam, and is about to send me on my way. I'm sitting there thinking how can he see suddenly now, when 5 minutes ago he could see nothing? I'm annoyed at this point.
Me: " I'm sorry, but I would like you to take a second look after you get more ear wax out."
Dr: "Oh, ya.. that's probably a good idea."
He then gets a different pick out and pulls GOBS of ear wax out of Dawson's ear. (ew, I know)
Dr: With his trusty otoscope in his hand again "Ok Dawson, lets take another looky here. Oh... wow, your mommy is gonna make a liar out of me"
Me: "what is it?"
Dr: "Well, I'm sorry.. he DOES have an ear infection, there is a lot of puss and his ear drum is bulging and very red"
Me: "I'm not one of those parents who wants my kids to be on antibiotics, you're not saying this to get me off your back are you?"
Dr: "No, I feel pretty stupid... would you like some free formula samples?"
Me: "why yes, thank you"
*Disclaimer: this was NOT my normal pediatrician. I love him. This was an after hours doctor at Wee Care. If you would like his name so you dont visit him, let me know.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Smart Dr. Award
Posted by Cami at 8:05 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
You know I noticed Dawson pulling at his ear at Amy's house. Poor baby. Give my snuggly friend a kiss for me. :0)
Gotta love Dr. P! I wonder if he'll give me some free samples at Eli's 4 month check-up. I hope Dawson gets feeling better!
Way to be assertive Mom! Take care of your little guy!
Cami I could bet ONE MILLION DOLLARS it was the same Brilliant doctor I took my kids too!! We will have to exchange names! The guy I went to wanted to give kenzie a steroid shot for something she "might" have!! He made me so MAD!! Anyways, I'm glad he finally figured out he had an ear infection.. poor little guy!!
Oh I am also sad I missed the crafty day! My sister was suppose to leave that day and I went over to say goodbye only to have her flight cancelled. But Sarah was nice enough to come show me the cute pants she made for Molly! She also told me how to do it, so I'm way excited to make some for Kenzie!!
(sorry this is so long!)
Good thing you stick to your guns! I bet Dawson was happy to have all the gunk out :o)
That is too bad. Gabe always has a lot of wax too that they have to dig out. I hate wee care. I was so sad when Rob changed jobs and my old ped doctor didn't take our new insurance. I actually cried. It is hard anymore to find good doctors. At at the wee care after hours both times I went I had a lady and she was horrible. I am still not sure if she even speaks english!
That is crazy! I would like to know his name. I haven't been that impressed by the after hours docters my-self. I am glad you made him take a second look!
I HATE Wee Care!!! I swear, no matter when you go (after hours especially) you always get the worst doctors, usually P.A.'s. My bro-in-law is a P.A. so I know some are intelligent, but not the ones Wee Care hires. I don't go there anymore. I'm sorry you had a bad experience!!!
Cami maybe you should go to school to be a doctor? I swear mom know more then doctors (with their own children) do 90% of the time. All I can say is tubes are WONDREFUL!!
I swear some doctors are so stupid Its like they just don't want to be bothered. I hope he is doing better ear infection are not fun. Good for you that you spoke your mind.
Do I know who this Dr. is? What a moron!
Post a Comment