Thursday, July 3, 2008

A More Serious Frustration

Dawson threw up yellow bile last Monday night.. I called the Dr.'s office and all they could tell me to do was take him to the E.R. I didn't feel like this was necessary so I didn't. He had been eating fine and wasn't dehydrated so I felt I could wait till Tuesday to get him in. He seemed much better and didn't throw up again so I thought it was a one time thing. Well, I was at my mom's and Dawson had a poop that had tons of these little black specs in it (I scrutinize all of Dawson's poop now) When I would push down on one of the specs (with a wipe) it would burst open with blood.. I thought this was weird so I called and made an apt. for him. Well, Dawson has been coughing and been SO irritated these past two days. I can tell when my kids have ear infections and suspected he did. So I called to see if I could get him in today. Good thing I did! Right before I took him to the Dr. he threw up again, this time it had blood in it. I FREAKED out.. I saved the cloth he threw up in to show the Dr.

So, I went to the Dr. and brought up all of my concerns (bile, black speckly poo, and bloody vomit.) He told me these were all classic signs of milk allergy, which we already know Dawson has. I've been off dairy for almost a month now.. and to no avail. My child still poops blood. The little specs in his poop are partially digested blood. His allergy is progressing to the point to where he is now vomiting blood. I feel terrible. I want what is best for him. Does that mean stop breastfeeding him? Or go to a more strict diet? I don't know. I have had a VERY emotional day today. Dave and I are going to discuss it when he gets home today. Likely, I will quit breastfeeding :( I do not think formula is bad in ANY way shape or form, but I just like knowing that I am giving him the VERY BEST stuff out there, but then I have to think about the poor little guy, and not be selfish and do what is best for his little body. Anyway, I know I am rambling.. It has been a LONG 24 hours. Dawson was awake from Midnight till 3am with a fever (he also has a double ear infection) the same time he was awake our Central Air decided to break. Poor baby had to be in an 80 degree house with a fever :( So basically, the Ross household is tired, cranky, sick and very emotional.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Cami I am so sorry!! Your poor little baby!! Kenzie got sick a lot when she was tiny and had tons of ear infections! One of the antibiotics she was on gave her thrush and she gave it to me, so in order to get rid of it I had to stop nursing her for a few days. But after we were all better my milk supply wasn't very good so I had to go to formula! I know how you feel about not wanting to quit! I cried for probably two days over it! But she did great on the formula and it actually made our lives a little easier! So good luck, I know things will be just fine whatever you decide to do!

Carlee Hoopes said...

Wow, I am so sorry Cami! Sounds like you guys have had it rough the past few days! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out! Oh, and I would switch to formula. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and I think in this situation it would be better for him than breastmilk....and you could eat ice cream again. :) Seriously though, don't feel guilty about formula. My mom formula-fed all of us and we turned out fine...hmmm...maybe I'm not the best example. :)

Fordney said...

Crappy. Landon survived going to formula- it will all be good. The only bad thing will be that you can start eating all those yummy, fatty foods again- so tempting :)

Mary said...

:( Poor little guy. And all you guys too, to go through all that. Ok so I'm going to put in thumbs-up number 4 for formula. Of course you want what's best for your little guy, so it's understandable that you're frustrated, but formula is so good now-a-days. I have to remember that too, since our little Rachel will be getting formula from day one.

Rodarte Family said...

Poor little guy! Deciding whether or not to stop breastfeeding is so emotional. Gracie never latched on correctly, so after a month of cracked and bleeding nipples, two bouts of mastitis, and dreading EVERY SINGLE feeding I finally switched to formula. I cried for days over the decision and felt like I had failed an important part of motherhood.
I talked to my doctor about it and here's something interesting:
All of the really good antibodies are in the colostrum. After that, it's just food. The campaign of 'breast is best' is mainly aimed and low-income households who cannot afford to purcahse good formula and have been found to use koolaid and juice to feed their babies which results in poor nutrition and tooth decay in infants.
So, I don't know whether or not that's true, but it at least made me feel less guilty over the decision : )

Souli & Ashley said...

I'm so sorry I know what is feels like to go through those types of things. The last few weeks at my house have been the same. Don't worry about not nursing he will be fine. I only could for like 3 months I didn't have enough milk. I'm so sorry he is sick. There is nothing worse you wish you could take it all away.

Souli & Ashley said...

I'm so sorry he is sick. THere is nothing worse. Trust me I know the feeling these last weeks have been the same in my house. Our air went out too what with that. I hope he gets better. Don't worry about not nursing I only did for 3 months and Brevin is fine.

Christian and Melissa said...

My photographer was Bry Cox. It makes it worse to know that it's a trend for photographers to do that! I didn't realize he left until I got my proofs. It's so sneaky!

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm glad I noticed your link for the blog backgrounds! They are way cute and the one I was using stopped working! So thanks!

Ryan and Brooke Ross said...

I am sorry that Dawson is not feeling well. Poor little guy. I hope that he gets feeling better and that everything gets better for you guys! I wish I could help. Love you guys and miss you all!

Ryan and Brooke Ross said...

I know this is off the subject, but I don't have your e-mail address. Can I get it? Other questions, where can I find a cute background for my blog and do you know how to put music to my blog?